Thursday, September 15, 2011

Carbs done right!

We don't eat a lot of carbs in our day to day meals, so when I'm craving bread, I make it a worthwhile treat! And what better way to eat bread than to have it drenched in butter, sugar, cream, and rum! Mmmmm...bread pudding!  I have to say, I never ate this dessert growing up in the Northeast but when I met my southern grown husband :) and found out it was his favorite dessert, I knew I better find a good recipe!  The recipe I use today comes from my MIL and it has become my favorite way to eat carbs!

Dry out the bread in the oven at 350 degrees for about 8 or 9 minutes.

Into the oven it goes!


The sauce is totally my favorite part!  How can you go wrong with butter, cream, sugar...and than a splash of rum!  



He LOVES to watch things bake in the oven!

Perfection!  Can you see the ooey gooey moistness?!  It's awesome even without the rum sauce!

Bread Pudding
* 1 loaf french bread; cubed and dried out in the over (8 or 9 minutes at 350)
*1 quart milk
*4 eggs, beaten
*2 cups sugar
*1 Tbsp vanilla
*1 Tbsp nutmeg
*1 Tbsp cinnamon
*4 Tbsp butter
*1 cup raisins (optional)
Mix all ingrediants together and pour into 3 quart casserole dish.  Bake 1 hour at 350 degrees.

Rum Sauce
*1 cup heavy cream
*2 sticks butter
*1 cup sugar
*1/4 tsp salt
*1 tsp. vanilla
*2 Tbsp. rum (optional)
In saucepan, simmer cream, butter, sugar and salt until it begins to boil.  Remove from heat; stir in vanilla and rum.  Serve warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment